Thursday, June 30, 2016

Interview with Author P.S. Malcolm

Displaying 12920269_1325619264120733_7381678497193787368_n - Copy.jpgAW: Tell us about yourself…


 P.S.Malcolm: I'm 18 years old. My first novel submission ever was accepted by a publishing company when I was only 17, but the company later went out of business so it didn't make it to shelves. I grew up in the tropics of North Queensland, right next to the beautiful Great Barrier Reef! I love cats, tea, and  of course, writing stories!
AW: What genera do you write and why?


P.S.Malcolm: It honestly depends on what I want to write, but mainly I stick to YA Fiction, Romance, Adventure/Thriller and Fantasy/Paranormal. I can't wait to give other genres a crack...

AW: Tell us about your book….



P.S.Malcolm: My book, Stuck on Vacation With Ryan Rupert, is a book I wrote when I was 15. It's been through a lot since then, and now, I'm proud to be able to release it for publishing on June 30 2016

It's about a girl named Aubany, who is forced to go on vacation with her mortal enemy, and neighbour, Ryan Rupert, to an island paradise-- which wouldn't usually be a problem, but she's got a huge fear of the sea. And if that wasn't enough, there's a psycho trying to kill them. 
AW: What was your inspiration for this book?

P.S.Malcolm: I got inspired to write this when I went on a holiday with my friend. At the time I had a huge crush on someone who I knew would never 'like' me, and I thought... 'wouldn't it be ironic if we ran into them here? It's the perfect place for a love story to unfold.'
Three days into the trip, I couldn't sit still because I'd created a massive story idea in my head. The moment I got home, I went straight to the computer, and banged the entire book out in one week

AW: Do you have a favorite character and why that one?

P.S.Malcolm: I personally love Aubany-- she's my main character for a reason. She has so many qualities of mine, a lot of them hugely exaggerated, and I feel like she really grew with me as a person while writing this book. 

AW: Did you find anything particularly difficult in writing this book?

P.S.Malcolm: I actually purposely avoided a lot of things I shouldn't have when I first wrote the book. My editor pointed out to me how important it was that those things be included, like Aubany's relationship with her parents. Especially seeing as her mum is sick with Cancer. Coming from a family where we're not as close as most other families, it was hard for me to write the emotion well and imagine what Aubany's situation might be like.

AW: What project(s) are you currently working on?

P.S.Malcolm: I'm currently putting all my energy into this series-- which has three books in total. On the side, I'm also working on The Starlight Chronicles Series, the one that got accepted when I was 17. I plan to pursue this series afterwards, when I have some more experience in the industry, as it's a much bigger series. 

AW: Do you have any interesting writing quirks you want to tell us about?

P.S.Malcolm: When I get invested in a novel idea, I can write it in the space of a week (at least 300 pages). After that, it's months and months of editing that take up the time. 

AW: Do you have any advice for writers out there?

P.S.Malcolm: My advice to you-- don't let the little things hold you back. Writer's block happens, and it passes. Financial problems can be overcome or worked around. Fear of the unknown is natural, and best fought head on. Traditional publishing is only the cheaper route-- not the route that determines your worth as a writer. A successful writer succeeds because they work hard at everything they do, and they take the time to improve their skills and seek help from others. So even if you choose to Self-Publish, you have every chance of being as well known and liked as someone who had the support of an entire company behind them-- the only difference is you did more to get where you are now. Don't limit yourself-- explore every opportunity around you.

AW: Where can we find you? 
P.S.Malcolm:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorPM/?fref=nf&pnref=story
Twitter: https://twitter.com/PaganMalcolm
Website: http://psmalcolm.com/
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/14905469.P_S_Malcolm

AW: And of course we have to know, where can we find your book? P.S.Malcolm: As well as on my website, you can find it here:

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B01FGT7DEK
Wattpad (Preview): https://www.wattpad.com/user/PSMalcolm

0 comments:

Post a Comment