Saturday, December 30, 2017

Author Interview of Kevin Purdy

AW: Tell us about yourself…

I am the author of The Legend of Decimus Croome: A Halloween Carol  Originally from Montana, I now reside in Louisville, Colorado where I was a teacher for over twenty years. I write both fiction and non-fiction books as well as occasional magazine articles and blog posts. I am also the owner of Purdy Books and run the websitesPurdyBooks.com and Trailsnet.com.  I can be found on most social media outlets under both the Trailsnet and PurdyBooks user names.

AW: What genre do you write and why?

I write young adult, historical fiction and non-fiction. In addition to being a bibliophile, I’m also an anglophile, so I love to read and write books based on British history and British literature.

AW: Tell us about your book….

I believe The Legend of Decimus Croome: A Halloween Carol is bound to become a Halloween classic
Decimus Croome is a despicable fellow who hates all holidays but especially despises Halloween. However, Croome's life is transformed one memorable Halloween when four ghastly spirits pay him a visit to reveal the misery he has inflicted upon his friends, neighbors and family members. Join Tommy Bobbich, Decimus Croome and an enchanting cast of ghosts, witches and ghouls in this modern day holiday story that is sure to provide you with chills, laughs and even a few touching moments.
 Based on A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, The Legend of Decimus Croome is bound to become a Halloween classic for readers of all ages. Follow old man Croome as four hilarious and eccentric spirits turn his world inside out. And oh what spirits they are. Each one is more disturbing than the last as they deliver a chilling message for Croome and his fellow Halloween humbugs. Once you've read The Legend of Decimus Croome, you will never look at Halloween the same again.
 "If Charles Dickens, Edgar Allan Poe and Dr. Seuss conspired to write a novel, the results would probably look something like The Legend of Decimus Croome: A Halloween Carol. - BestHolidayBooks.com

AW: What was your inspiration for this book?
 I’m a huge fan of Halloween, but I noticed there are very few really good Halloween books out there that are appropriate for all ages whereas there are so many incredible Christmas stories. One of the very best of those is A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. In fact, Dickens is sometimes credited with being the man who popularized many of our modern Christmas traditions. But I always found it strange that a Christmas story centered around four ghosts. That sounded more like a great Halloween story to me. So as I began to see many of my friends and neighbors start to take a Scrooge-like attitude about Halloween, I decided it was time to write A Halloween Carol

AW: Do you have a favorite character and why that one?

Since Decimus Croome is the title character, it’s tremendously fun to watch how his attitude changes from the beginning of the book to the end. And then there are those incredibly eccentric ghosts. What’s not to love about a wisecracking pumpkin-head or a hilarious, shape-shifting witch? How about Tommy Bobbich, the Tiny Tim of A Halloween Carol? But I must admit, my favorite character of all is Black Magic. She provides some incredibly preposterous comic relief every time the book starts taking itself too seriously.

AW: Did you find anything particularly difficult in writing this book?
 Essentially I was trying to walk in the footsteps of one of the greatest writers of all time. It was as if Charles Dickens was my writing coach, and he was a stern taskmaster. I often reread parts of A Christmas Carol and other Dickens literature throughout the writing of A Halloween Carol. It was truly a humbling and educational experience. 

AW: What project(s) are you currently working on?
 
It’s as if ghosts got into my soul, and I can’t exorcise them. I am just in the brainstorming/outlining phase of a huge ghost story project that will include at least three books (possibly six) that will be like a combination of works by J.K. Rowling, Stephen King and J.R.R. Tolkien. Don’t expect anything too soon.

AW: Do you have any interesting writing quirks you want to tell us about?
 I’m a prodigious pre-writer and a meticulous editor/reviser. I spend WAY more time planning and revising my books than writing them.

AW: Do you have any advice for writers out there?
 
Start early, write often and network with other writers. And don’t forget to read on a daily basis and learn from the masters.

AW: Where can we find you? 
Thanks for asking!! You can find my imprint, PurdyBooks, on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and PurdyBooks.com.

AW: And of course we have to know, where can we find your book? 
In addition to participating bookstores such as Tattered Cover, Book Cellar and Boulder Bookstore, The Legend of Decimus Croome: A Halloween Carol can be found on Amazon.com in both e-book (Kindle) & paperback form.

0 comments:

Post a Comment