Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Guest Blog David Fingerman author of Silent Kill

Good Morning All! Please join me in welcoming guest blogger author of Silent Kill, David Fingerman!!

Book Description
Police must follow a labyrinth, leading into the darkest tunnel of a twisted mind. A mind that carries no value for human life…
Minneapolis police officer Louise Miller has attitude. Not only does she have to deal with the good old boy mentality of the department, but she's also a gay police officer who has to deal with harassment on a higher level. When one of her few friends on the force goes missing Miller investigates, despite her captain's order to leave it to the detectives.
As Miller scours the precinct for any sign of the missing officer, Elias Boughton is on a psychopathic rampage. Kidnapping and murder are games he plays, blindly obeying a voice from his past.
As the body count rises, Miller is convinced the detectives are heading in the wrong direction. Trying to fit the puzzle together, each clue revolves around a particular Rottweiler. As the mystery unravels so does her life, and the case becomes more personal than she ever dared imagine.

Guest Blog:
When the Imagination Takes Over

To write fiction, one needs a very healthy imagination. All modesty aside, I've got one of the healthiest. Growing up watching The Twilight Zone, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, and The Outer Limits, I don't think it's a hard stretch to say that my imagination tends to lean toward the dark side. I can pretty much twist any situation into something, well, let's say unseemly. A number of people have asked if I ever scared myself from my ideas. I used to joke that the ideas didn't scare me, but my thought processes on how I got them did ~ it made me question my mental health. So what happens when the imagination becomes so strong it starts to take over? In my case they make for some really 'fun' stories. That's the plus side. On the down side, I'm afraid I'm turning into some sort of real life wuss.

This past weekend my wife and I jumped in the car for a weekend cruise. With no real destination planned other than wilderness, we drove. Along the way we found some nature trails and did some hiking. Of course my mind went straight to getting lost or hurt in the middle of nowhere, or maybe some crazed woods people would have a little fun at our expense. Nothing
happened other than we got some great photos. As we drove farther from civilization it was dark and we getting tired. We decided to stop at the next motel we drove by. Ahead flashed a big red vacancy sign and we pulled in. The first red flag was we were the only car in the parking lot. I thought that odd for a Friday night. We decided to go in anyway. The décor was interesting. Parts of the lobby area seemed very homey, while another section looked kid friendly, except for the sign that said any child left unattended would be sold into slavery. There was also another sign that warned against too much noise after 10:00. My mind raced with story ideas. Maybe kids really were sold into slavery; toys that littered the lobby were left by the victims. Visions of "Psycho" and "The Shining" and "Motel Hell" came to mind. I also remembered a nasty little horror story I wrote years ago called "The Blue Light" (it's in my book "Edging Past Reality" hint
hint). I pressed the intercom button. Shortly, a man came to the counter. He was the owner and I guessed a little lonely because he was very talkative. We told him about our weekend cruise, and then paid for a night in cash. It then occurred to me that we left no paper trail and just told a complete stranger no one knew we were there. Let me say straight out that the innkeeper did nothing wrong and was very pleasant. It was my imagination that made me wonder if we would make it out of there alive. When I saw the flimsy lock on our door, I had even more doubts. Did you see the movie "Vacancy" starring Luke Wilson? There was a vent right above the bed that I checked for cameras. As I lie in bed unable to sleep, I kept waiting for the poison gas to seep out, or the door to creak open. By three a.m. I figured that if the guy meant to kill us he would've done it by now so I finally succumbed to sleep. When I woke up a few hours later my wife asked how was I feeling. I told her "alive." I got to tell you that I pretty much managed to freak myself out. The scenarios in my mind were becoming too real. Had I not been more afraid of waking my wife for no real reason, I probably would've snuck out of there in the middle of the night.

What I'm saying is, as a fiction writer there's no way to turn off your imagination. But sometimes it's probably a good idea to step away and use vacations for what they are meant to be used for ~ vacationing. For me it's back to work on another motel horror story.

You can purchase Mr. Fingerman's book Silent Kill here at Amazon and be sure to check out his website: davidfingerman.com
Thank you so much for blogging with us today!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment